Aloha

Posted by danielle on May 20th, 2014

A few weeks ago we took a much needed vacation.

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…

(If you view the slideshow in full screen mode and click on show info there are some descriptions though.)


Created with flickr slideshow.

For the Birds

Posted by danielle on May 12th, 2014

Last summer we had to cut down our beautiful birch tree. The foliage had been eaten by asian beetles and we just couldn’t save it. With birch branches still quite trendy in outdoor arrangements, I kept the larger pieces, hoping to somehow incorporate the branches back into our garden.

It took me a while to figure out what to do with them but it finally hit me when I was searching for bird baths on Pinterest. We’d been looking for one for years, but we hadn’t been able to find one with the right combination of tasteful (for Jeremy) and kitsch (for me). I was thinking of something that featured a ornate fountain with a statue of an animal or cherub relieving itself, but you know, classy like.

Birdbath

For the stand, I attached the branches with jute twine (leftover from the stool project) using this tutorial. The bath is a big bowl I found in a thrift shop.

tripodlash

This won’t be a permanent fixture – the branches and twine will surely rot over a couple of years. In the meantime though, I was happy to find a use for the branches.

I still have a few smaller pieces left over, so I’m thinking about a centerpiece like the one
I made for Christmas a few years ago. I’m open to suggestions though. Have you seen any cute or clever craft ideas using birch lately?

Have a Seat

Posted by danielle on April 24th, 2014

In nearly every thrift store I walk into, there’s cluster of sad, old mismatched chairs in the furniture section. I can’t help but think that with some paint and new cushions, how fabulous they would be. I wish I had time to fix them all, but sadly, I can’t save all the chairs. I did rescue one though.

I bought this chair many years ago – so long ago that this before picture was taken on the deck at our condo (we moved out in 2008). Jeremy kept threatening to toss it – I even had to pull it out of a rented dumpster once when we were cleaning out the garage after our basement renovation. I’ve always been insistent that I would get around to fixing it someday.

I recently noticed it in the garage, sitting precariously close to a pile of things headed for the curb, so I decided it was time to get it finished before it disappeared in the next garage purge.

chairsbeforeafter

Aside from the paint (Behr’s Wipeout),I had all of the materials for this project already. The houndstooth fabric was from my stash and the foam for the seat was leftover from the cushions I’d made for the camper last year.

Now I’m focusing on refinishing our dining room sideboard. The project is not going well and it’s taking much longer than I’d planned. It’s a large piece of furniture and I think I’ve bit off more than I can chew. In retrospect, I should have done a few more practice painting projects before starting such a large one, but there’s no turning back now…