I’ve been looking for a headboard for our bedroom for almost six years now. Not inclusively, obviously, but every once in a while it comes back on my radar. I search for a bit, and then give up. We’ve never actually had a real headboard. When we lived in our condo, I’d made an upholstered board that hung on the wall, but it didn’t get reinstalled in our new place because I’d planned to get a proper one shortly after we moved in.
That didn’t happen. Then I looked around again back when I painted in 2011 but found nothing to my liking – and by liking I also mean in our price range.
I took up my search again over the summer since I had all the time in the world to obsess over our décor, but still came up empty handed. I was tired of not having one though. I think a headboard really makes a bedroom look put together, and really, how much longer could we go on living like this? We might as well just put the mattress directly on the floor, stick movie posters with thumbtacks over the bed and hand a flag in the window.
We’re grown ups. We needed a headboard.
Inevitably, I ended up making one.
There are enough of tutorials out there for DIY upholstered headboards, so I’ll skip over the specifics, but here are a few pictures of the project in progress:
Unlike the one I made for the condo, this one is attached to the bed, rather than the wall.
I had some of the basic materials around the house, including scrap wood, nails, screws, staples and buttons. I bought MDF from Home Depot (and had them cut it), quilt batting from the fabric store and linen from Ikea. Overall, the project cost me around $30 and only took a few hours to assemble.
In my mind, this is just a temporary solution until we find something better, but at the rate we’re going, who knows when that will be.