In nearly every thrift store I walk into, there’s cluster of sad, old mismatched chairs in the furniture section. I can’t help but think that with some paint and new cushions, how fabulous they would be. I wish I had time to fix them all, but sadly, I can’t save all the chairs. I did rescue one though.
I bought this chair many years ago – so long ago that this before picture was taken on the deck at our condo (we moved out in 2008). Jeremy kept threatening to toss it – I even had to pull it out of a rented dumpster once when we were cleaning out the garage after our basement renovation. I’ve always been insistent that I would get around to fixing it someday.
I recently noticed it in the garage, sitting precariously close to a pile of things headed for the curb, so I decided it was time to get it finished before it disappeared in the next garage purge.
Aside from the paint (Behr’s Wipeout),I had all of the materials for this project already. The houndstooth fabric was from my stash and the foam for the seat was leftover from the cushions I’d made for the camper last year.
Now I’m focusing on refinishing our dining room sideboard. The project is not going well and it’s taking much longer than I’d planned. It’s a large piece of furniture and I think I’ve bit off more than I can chew. In retrospect, I should have done a few more practice painting projects before starting such a large one, but there’s no turning back now…